From Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA:

I had my A1c about four months ago and it was 6.1. My doctor suggested I increase my Lantus from 20 to 22 units and my Humalog from 16 to 18 units. Recently, over the past month, I have been having a problem with regulating my blood sugar. Fasting, it is about 150 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L] and two hours after meals, it can be as high as 250 mg/dl [13.9 mmol/L]. Currently, I am injecting 22 units of Humalog with meals and 25 units of Lantus at night. Both insulins are new and kept refrigerated. Also of note, I have been cutting back on portions and this is surprising. Any ideas would help ease my mind.

Any reason to suspect you have had a decrease in your insulin sensitivity? Has your weight increased? Have you had a decrease in your exercise? Have you suffered from an intercurrent illness? These are some of the more common reasons why you may have had a decrease in your response to your insulin dose. If none of these strikes a bell, you need to speak with your physician. Be ready to have your blood sugars before and after meals so you can discuss these results as a change in your insulin dose is probably warranted.

Posted to Insulin and Daily Care