Question:

From Maplewood, New Jersey, USA:

My endocrinologist has cleared me to have IVF (In Vitro Fertilization) next month. I am 33 and was diagnosed with type 1 in October. My A1c came back today at 6.9%. Is this a safe level to maintain a healthy pregnancy?

Answer:

The normal range for hemoglobin A1c may vary slightly from laboratory to laboratory. Therefore, you should check the reference range being used in your area. A hemoglobin A1c of 6.9% is close to normal. If you want to be extra compulsive, then waiting until your A1c value is within the normal range before conception should further minimize the risk to the baby.

Posted to Pregnancy and A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c