Question:

From East Elmhurst, New York, USA:

In my family, we have juvenile diabetes, but because my grandfather had diabetes, I thought it skipped a generation since my sister has had juvenile diabetes since she was 12 years old. She's now 35. I'm perfectly fine, but my four year old daughter has had asthma since she was two months old and many complications with upper respiratory issues. She has been giving me the symptoms of diabetes, going to the bathroom often, especially at night and drinking lots and lots of water. I asked her doctor about my concern and I told him my sister had a machine to test her. So, he said to test her and, if it was not normal, we would do an entire check up. We tested her and she had no sweets through out the day except some food about six hour prior to the poke and her sugar was 170 mg/dl [9.4 mmol/L]. Is that ok or should she get a more complete test?

Answer:

Please review those results with your pediatrician. Additional testing is necessary.