Question:

From Holland, Michigan, USA:

My daughter, diagnosed in June 2004, is on an antibiotic for sinus infection. This is her first time with antibiotics. I was wondering if using acidophilus, to put back some of the good bacteria that the antibiotics are killing off, along with the bad stuff, would alter her blood glucose at all. Does using antibiotics in general, for diabetics, mess up other systems in the body, due to the already suppressed immune system? Could it set herself up for yeast infections or whatever? This is why I the thought of giving her acidophilus.

Answer:

I don't know of any credible evidence that using acidophilus would be helpful for your daughter. Antibiotics are very useful for certain infections. Any medications have various risks and benefits. One of the more common side effects of antibiotics is an occasional yeast infection which is typically treated very easily with over-the-counter medications. The vast majority of kids with diabetes don't have a "suppressed immune system;" they have an altered immune system response to the islet cells in the pancreas. Other than that abnormal response, their immune system is unaltered. I would discuss your concerns with your pediatrician.