Question:

From Algoma, Wisconsin, USA:

I have type 1.5 diabetes and take NovoLog three times a day. When I take the NovoLog and do a postprandial test, my blood sugars are often in the 200s mg/dl [11.1 to 16.5 mmol/L], but within a half hour to an hour later they will be in the 100s mg/dl [5.6 to 10.5 mmol/L]. Is this common with NovoLog?

Answer:

The question is when are you doing the testing. Most people would use a pre-meal and a two hour post-meal glucose to titrate the insulin. You want the pre-meal glucose to be less than 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L] and the two hour glucose post-meal to be less than 140 mg/dl [7.8 mmol/L]. For pregnant women or those seeking very tight control, the two hour glucose should even be less than 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L]. If you monitor glucose within 30 minutes, the glucose might be higher. Please discuss your target blood sugars for these time points with your physician.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Insulin Analogs