Question:

From Mohave Valley, Arizona:

My friend is a "brittle" diabetic. He has had it a long time. I know that he takes injections.I know only what his mom has told me. He doesn't seem to take it as serious as it is. He has significant kidney damage already, but he still proceeds to drink. He is only 15. He also leaves me a lot and doesn't tell me where he is going. He is slipping up a lot and I know he isn't a bad kid. I would like to know what I should do about his drinking. I can't go on knowing that he is probably out somewhere getting wasted and killing himself. What should I do?

Answer:

You sound like a very concerned friend. I am glad that you are asking for help. Have you spoken to an adult about some of your concerns? Can you talk about your concerns to either a parent or someone at school like one of the school counselors? It sounds like your friend may need to speak to an adult about his drinking. I also hope your friend understands the risks involved with drinking, particularly the diabetes-related risks. Drinking can either lower or raise blood sugars, but usually drinking lowers blood sugars, which not all teens with diabetes know. I am glad you are asking for help and really encourage you to talk to an adult about this for your friend's safety.

DB

Posted to Behavior and Complications