Question:

From Sevierville, Tennessee, USA:

My son is seven and was diagnosed with type 1 at age five. Yesterday, my cousin asked me to check her two year old daughter's blood sugar. It was 236 mg/dl [13.1 mmol/L] so, I scrubbed her hands and tested again and it was still 233 mg/dl [12.9 mmol/L]. I know my meter reads correctly because if it didn't my son would be in some trouble. At the doctor today, her blood sugar was 78 mg/dl [4.3 mmol/L], then 98 mg/dl [5.4 mmol/L] after lunch. They did not do a ketone test or A1c test. What should we do now?

Answer:

I'd say you do not have to do anything right now since the two blood sugar readings, which I assume were fasting and postprandial, at the doctor's office, were absolutely normal. However, I'd recommend that, next week, the child have an additional fasting blood sugar and urine tests done by a laboratory.