Question:

From Ontario, Canada:

My concern is for my sister. She is in her 40s and overweight. I have a daughter with diabetes and we also have many relatives with type 1 diabetes. My sister had a possible kidney stone. It was not confirmed, but was suggested to be the problem. A day or two after her trip home from the hospital she used a urine stick and had trace amount of sugar in her urine. I told her she should look into it. I am under the impression that sugar in the urine is a indicator that diabetes could be the problem.

Answer:

Testing the urine for sugar is not how we check for diabetes any longer because it is not accurate. If your sister wants to know if she has diabetes, or pre-diabetes, she should ask her doctor to do a blood test.

JS

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Type 2