From New Jersey, USA:

Is it possible for MODY to progress into type 1 diabetes instead of type 2?

MODY is a very specific diagnosis. It is associated with a number of genes. Some centers even look for the gene. I am not able to do so. The real question is the correct diagnosis of MODY, I expect. The other choice is a slowly evolving type 1; LADA is what it is called. It ususally happens in adults, is autoimmune and the term latent is applied as the autoimmune process is very slow. I suspect people who think they have type 2 and progress to needing insulin and are thin, actually have LADA and have had autoimmune diabetes all along.

Posted to LADA and MODY