From Elyria, Ohio, United States:

I am taking metformin, Avandia and Lipitor for type 2 diabetes. Will these medications have a negative impact if following the Atkins diet?

This is a very interesting question. Metformin and Lipitor will both improve your cholesterol levels. At the same time, the Atkins diet tends to be very high fat since you cannot eat most carbohydrates. I wish I could say that one would cancel out the other, but that is not the case. There is much controversy over whether or not the Atkins diet is recommended for people with diabetes and high cholesterol. I tell my patients that want to try a low carbohydrate diet to try the South Beach Diet, which recommends low fat choices and is much more heart healthy.

Posted to Other and Meal Planning, Food and Diet