From Athol, Massachusetts, USA:

My boyfriend and I have been discussing the possibility of backpacking around Europe for two months next summer. By then, I will be 21 and have had diabetes for seven years. I have had a pump for about a month and have always had very good control, no DKA or hospitalization since diagnosis. What kind of precautions do I need to take, or what arrangements do I need to make? Is it even feasible for me to go?

You can travel across Western European countries (EU) with no more problems or precautions from those which you'd take travelling across US. Perhaps, in order to save time and money, you might want to bring with you enough insulin vials, strips and all the necessary materials for your pump. If you happen to need medical assistance the widespread NHS diabetes centers across all the European countries can offer you the full range assistance to help you anyway. Enjoy Europe.

Posted to Traveling