Question:

From Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA:

My daughter is 10 years old. For as long as I can remember, she had had frequent urination. And, she is thirsty a lot. She has recently requested that she be allowed to keep small candies in her desk at school; she feels shaky and often gets stomachaches, sometimes nausea. However, in most cases, she does not have diarrhea or vomiting. She eats constantly! She is not overweight nor has she lost weight. She eats breakfast every morning and gets a "shaky and sick feeling" everyday before lunch, which is approximately four and a half to five hours after breakfast. She says the candy helps that feeling go away until she eats lunch.

Very recently, she had an excessive amount of plantar warts on both feet. We had them frozen, but it still did not help. We treated them with Compound W per the doctor and they have since gone away. But she had them for what seems a very long time. Is any of this a reason for me to have her tested for diabetes? Both non-insulin and insulin dependent diabetes is in my family history; my mother and grandmother, and my cousin on my mom's side

Answer:

It is unlikely that your daughter has diabetes but it is a very simple matter of a urine test and/or blood test to set your mind at rest. Her symptoms should be discussed with her doctor.