Question:

From Newcastle, Maine, USA:

Recently, my husband had his annual blood work done and had the glucose test repeated. His doctor wanted him to monitor it and told him to check mine while he was at it. The doctor never really gave him any advice except to keep his under 110 mg/dl [6.1 mmol/L], and when I asked what a normal reading was for men and women, he said the doctor never really mentioned it except he did mention 130 mg/dl [7.2 mmol/L]. Is there a chart that we can go by that gives examples? The meter my husband bought does not have a guide with it. Or, is there a good book on the market with some of this information?

Answer:

I am confused about whether or not your husband has diabetes. A fasting (nothing to eat or drink for at least 8 hours) blood sugar of 100 to 125 mg/dl [5.6 to 6.9 mmol/L] is the criteria for pre-diabetes, and 126 mg/dl [7.0 mmol/L] or greater is for diabetes (on two separate days). Once someone is diagnosed with diabetes, the target blood sugars are usually less than 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L] before meals and less than 140 mg/dl [7.8 mmol/L] two hours after you START eating a meal. The American Diabetes Association has an excellent on-line bookstore.

JS

Posted to Other and Type 2