Question:

From Vernon, New Jersey, USA:

I have had type 1 diabetes for almost 30 years. I check my children using my home monitor once a month, which was this past Saturday and Sunday. My son, age 16, was in the normal range at 93 mg/dl [5.2 mmol/L] two hours after breakfast. Meanwhile, my daughter was 185 mg/dl [10.3 mmol/L] two hours after breakfast. I checked her before lunch and she was 192 mg/dl [10.7 mmol/L]; two hours afterward, she was 242 mg/dl [13.4 mmol/L]; she remained high the rest of the day. On Sunday, her fasting blood sugar was 123 mg/dl [6.8 mmol/L]. Throughout the day on Sunday and Monday morning, she remained in normal levels.

We do have an appointment later this week with her pediatrician. I was just wondering if this is the beginning of type 1 or type 2 and where I can look for resources before that doctor appointment.

Answer:

An appointment with your pediatrician will be your best resource for seeing if your child may have diabetes. There are multiple educational resources available through the Children with Diabetes home page.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Other