Question:

From Houston, Pennsylvania, USA:

I have been a type 1 diabetic for 18 years. I had recently developed hypothyroidism and mild retinopathy about six months after my son was born. I wanted to try to get pregnant again and have been talking to my doctors. My retinal doctor said that the retinopathy shouldn't be a problem and, if I wanted to get pregnant, this would be the time. Also, my endocrinologist feels the same way. I just had a full blood and urine work-up done and will get the results tomorrow. This will be my definite okay from my endocrinologist. I just wanted to know that if I would get pregnant, would this be entirely TOO HIGH risk, knowing I am high risk to begin with? I am frightened a bit and want to get as much information and advice I can possibly find.

Answer:

Your thyroid condition can be managed easily with hormone replacement. If your retinopathy is stable and your blood glucose remains in good control, then a future pregnancy is a reasonable decision. I am encouraging all women who are considering pregnancy to supplement their folic acid intake up to 5 mg/day. This would have to be done with a prescription from your doctor. The reason is that babies of mothers with diabetes are at increased risk for spina bifida. Extra folic acid can reduce this risk.

Posted to Pregnancy and Complications