From Bedford, Pennsylvania, USA:

My eight year old daughter has recently had two urination accidents in three days. Diabetes runs in both sides of the family. She is always thirsty, hungry, and has very bad dry skin. After talking to my pediatrician, they sent me to the emergency room. They checked her blood sugar level by pricking her finger and it was 112 mg/dl [6.2 mmol/L]. She ate about three hours before this reading. They also did a urine test that didn't show anything. When I left, I felt that I was being pushed out the door with no answers. What should I request when I see the doctor?

To answer your question very directly, you should ask for an A1c test, urine glucose sticks so you can check your child's blood sugar at home, and that a urine sample be sent to the laboratory to check for infection.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Other