From South Carolina, USA:

My six year old has currently been sick with what we think is a stomach virus. I know that dehydration can cause thirst. I thought he had gotten over it two days ago, but he is still extremely thirsty. I did a three hour post prandial glucose and it was 198 mg/dl [11.0 mmol/L]. I then made him fast for three more hours and it was 110 mg/dl [6.1 mmol/L]. I also bought ketone sticks and he was positive. Should this lead me to be concerned about type 1 or could it just be related to his recent illness?

Please review your concerns with your pediatrician immediately. Your child may have unrecognized diabetes.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Hyperglycemia and DKA