Question:

From South Carolina, USA:

My six year old has currently been sick with what we think is a stomach virus. I know that dehydration can cause thirst. I thought he had gotten over it two days ago, but he is still extremely thirsty. I did a three hour post prandial glucose and it was 198 mg/dl [11.0 mmol/L]. I then made him fast for three more hours and it was 110 mg/dl [6.1 mmol/L]. I also bought ketone sticks and he was positive. Should this lead me to be concerned about type 1 or could it just be related to his recent illness?

Answer:

Please review your concerns with your pediatrician immediately. Your child may have unrecognized diabetes.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Hyperglycemia and DKA