Question:

From Springfield, Virginia, USA:

I have recently started dating a man with type 1 diabetes. I have known him for over a year and I know that he takes very good control of his diabetes. He always keeps his A1c levels below 7.0. I am concerned because I know he is a person that I could fall in love with, but I never imagined that I would have to deal with something like this in the person that I might eventually marry someday. He has had diabetes for 17 years and I know the longer the person has it, the worse it is on their bodies. Please help me because my heart and my mind are warring against each other. I don't want to not fall in love with him because of his diabetes, but at the same time, I'm not quite sure what a life with a diabetic could be like. I need advice!

Answer:

It sounds like you want more information about how diabetes may or may not effect your future together, which is a very difficult question to answer. Would it be helpful if you went to your boyfriend's medical visits so you could ask some more questions to find out more information? It is great that he taking such good care of himself now, which is the best way for him to prevent any diabetes related complications. I am wondering if it would also be helpful for you to talk to a counselor together (psychologist or social worker) about some of these issues as well? Diabetes does effect the whole family so you may need to discuss some of your concerns in more detail before considering marriage.

DB