From Lewistown, Montana, USA:

My son also has attention problems. He has been diagnosed with the non-hyperactive type of ADD, in addition to his eight years with type 1 diabetes. Do you think the years of high/low blood sugars have contributed to this attention problem? He took a test at school last week that he failed. His blood glucose was 500 mg/dl [27.8 mmol/L] after the test. He re-took the test the next day when blood glucose was 150 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L] and got a B. What else can we do to help these two problems together?

There is no doubt in my mind that high blood sugars, and especially low blood sugars, can affect school performance. There are many things including stress that can affect blood sugars and it is impossible to assure normal blood sugars during school hours. My best advice is to do whatever it takes to try and maintain a normal blood sugar level, that is 70 to 150 mg/dl [3.9 to 8.3 mmol/L], as much as possible to ensure that diabetes doesn't adversely affect school performance and to remain at low risk for complications from diabetes. ADD/ADHD and diabetes are unrelated.

Now for a reality check. It is impossible to always keep blood sugars between 70 and 150 mg/dl [3.9 and 8.3 mmol/L]. think it is possible, with a lot of work, to have 70% of blood sugars in that target range (obviously, more in that target range is better for all of the above reasons). Your diabetes team should have resources to offer you that include review of blood sugars for insulin dose adjustments. Please make sure you are reviewing your son's blood sugars on a weekly basis and making any necessary changes.

Posted to Other and School and Daycare