From New Orleans, Louisiana, USA:

Can antibiotics cause abnormally high blood sugars in a non-diabetic patient? My daughter has been on an aggressive antibiotic treatment for one month for a chronic sinus infection. Two weeks into the treatment, she started showing symptoms of diabetes, including increased thirst, increased urination, increased appetite, and fatigue. We have a strong family history of type 1and a stronger family history of type 2. Should I consult her pediatrician about this?

Antibiotics should not cause any change in blood sugars in non-diabetics. I would recommend that you promptly review your concerns and your daughter's symptoms with your pediatrician.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Diagnosis and Symptoms