Question:

From India:

I am PhD in molecular neurogenetics. My younger brother is suffering from type 1 diabetes. I just wanted to know the applicability of an insulin pump, whether it is more efficient than insulin injections. I also heard about insulin spray; what is that? Is there any company suppling that? My brother has lost 10 kg (22 pounds) weight. Should he take shark cartilage capsules?

Answer:

I believe that insulin pump therapy for type 1 diabetes mellitus is more efficient in most people, compared to intermittent injections. Not only is the opportunity for good glycemic control enhanced, but there is improved flexibility and lifestyle. I do not think there is a commercially available insulin spray. Insulin therapy by inhalation is being currently developed by several pharmaceutical companies but is not yet available. The shark's cartilage should not be a problem with his diabetes.

Posted to Insulin Pumps and Inhaled Insulin