Question:

From Nottingham, England:

My dad takes insulin three times a day. Sometimes, he has very bad outbursts of anger. He says it's the illness he has. I find this very hard to belive as I know other people that have diabetes and they are not this way. It makes life very hard for my mom who takes care of him.

Answer:

It is true that rapidly fluctuating blood sugars may cause individuals to be emotional. However, do not accept abuse. If you can talk to your father, tell him to get his diabetes taken care of, as it is a matter of family importance. There may also be a degree of anger or depression that may also be associated with having diabetes that has not been treated or addressed.

Posted to Behavior and Mental Health