From Seattle, Washington, USA:

What can you tell me about Apidra? How does it compare to NovoLog? Could it be considered "better?" Would it be the same comparison as Humalog to NovoLog?

Apidra is the newest insulin analog to be available in the U.S. shortly. It is manufactured by Sanofi-Aventis, the same group which produces Lantus. It is insulin glulisine. The metabolic profile is similar to NovoLog and Humalog. It is approved for pump use and will be available in a pen system.

A number of my patients are anxious to try the new analog to see if there is a difference. After reading the literature available, particularly in the European sector, I do not think there will be much of a difference in activity, but each individual may find one of the analogs better for him/her. I would use the one that is most comfortable for you.

Additional comments from Jane Seley, diabetes nurse specialist:

Apidra is a rapid acting insulin analog, as are Humalog and NovoLog. Apidra has approval by the FDA to be injected anywhere from 15 minutes before a meal to 20 minutes after starting a meal. In reality, Humalog and NovoLog could also be injected within 15 to 20 after eating, but there is no FDA approval to do so. I do want to emphasize that, ordinarily, you do not want to inject after eating, the delay could cause an unnecessary rise in blood sugar. It may be helpful to inject after if you aren't sure how much you are going to be able to eat (maybe you feel sick) or your sugar is very low before the meal. Once Apidra becomes readily available in the U.S., we will be able to see how it compares to NovoLog and Humalog.

Posted to Insulin Analogs