Question:

From Rochester, Michigan, USA:

I saw a man on the news who is now a non-diabetic after a procedure with cell implants. How might I become part of a research study for this type of thing? I have no insurance and am still in good health at this point. I would like to know where to go find out how to have this done before I get any damage that can't be reversed.

Answer:

You can contact your local university as the University of Michigan may be doing islet transplants. However, there are a number of institutions that are performing islet transplants. You can find more information on islet cell transplants at the Insulin-free world web site. Specific information on selection criteria is at the Islet Trials Referral and Update Service page.

Posted to Research: Cure