Question:

From Toronto, Canada:

I was wondering if blood sugar in the high normal or low normal range can make a person without diabetes feel poorly? My older sister is diabetic and she was diagnosed around the age I am now, so my mom gets worried now anytime I start drinking a lot or getting really cranky out of nowhere or am really tired for no reason. When this happens, she has me test with her meter. The lowest I've tested was somewhere in the 70s mg/dl [3.9 to 4.3 mmol/L] and the highest was 149 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L]. I think I was eating a lot of candy the day I tested that high. Mom says that's normal, but can blood sugars like that make a person who is not diabetic still feel not very good for a while?

What is the average normal blood sugar of a person without diabetes?

Answer:

Quite a number of people without diabetes occasionally suffer from low blood sugar, especially after hard or prolonged exercise. This is unpleasant and easily relieved by a sugary drink or snack. If symptoms are being caused by high sugars (e.g. excessive thirst or going to the toilet more often than usual), then this is abnormal and must be checked out. Normal blood glucose is around 70 to 110mg/dl (4 to 6 mmol/L).