From Columbia, South Carolina, USA:

My 10 year old son takes nine and a half NPH and three Regular in the morning before breakfast, then waits 30 minutes before eating. He is a picky eater and he only wants to eat one cup of Cheerios with one cup of milk, 3 ounces of orange slices, and one piece of toast. His numbers were high at lunch time a lot so his morning snack was reduced. He had been eating two Triscuits, then none. Now, he only eats half a granola bar at 9:30 in the morning, which is two hours after he finishes breakfast. He checks his blood sugar before lunch because his class eats lunch at 11:45.

I don't understand why his blood sugars were high at lunch, but are now low. Where is the happy medium?

Your son would likely benefit from a revised insulin dosing schedule. I would talk with your diabetes team about switching to Lantus insulin for his basal insulin and a rapid acting insulin such as Humalog or NovoLog for his carbohydrates and high blood sugar dosing. You'll likely have better success with fewer labile blood sugars and improved control.

Posted to Daily Care and Insulin