From USA:

I'm 32 years old and I've had type 1 diabetes for over 20 years. Three years ago, I was diagnosed with PCOS (by ultrasound and hormone levels from blood) and one and half years ago, I was diagnosed with Graves' disease. I've always been on pretty good shape, had a BMI of 22 or less, and A1cs 6 to 7 %. My endocrinologist mentioned that Graves' disease and diabetes type 1 are related, but is PCOS, also? I don't know how long I've had PCOS, since it was diagnosed after I had developed a large cyst which caused so much pain, that I had to go to see OB/GYN just for the pain.

Are all three conditions related? More importantly, am I ever going to be able to have children? Would they inherit the same diseases? There are no others in my family who would have any of those. Am I the only one, or is this common among other diabetics? I thought PCOS was common only with type 2 diabetes. Is there any way to prevent other endocrine related diseases? I feel confused and scared about all this, otherwise I'm healthy, not even a small flu or anything more often than maybe once in a 10 years. My endocrinologist, as great he otherwise is, seems to skip my more difficult questions; that's why I turn to you on this matter.

All of these disorders can have some degree of autoantibody involvement as an underlying cause. It is common to see thyroid problems associated with diabetes. The PCOS may be secondary or unrelated. Nevertheless, these are all manageable and do not preclude pregnancy. The causes are mutifactorial although it can run in families. Thus, I cannot predict whether your children would develop these problems or not, but it is unlikely. There is nothing to do, specifically, to prevent other problems.

Posted to Pregnancy and Other Illnesses