Question:

From Chesapeake, Virginia, USA:

My 4-year-old has type 1 diabetes, which I believe puts her at higher risk for other autoimmune disorders. On mom's side, she has two relatives with multiple sclerosis, a brother with autism and several extended family members with colon/Crohn's issues, so, we're a mess! Two of my friends have recently been diagnosed with lupus and remember severe joint pain in legs as children. My daughter complains and cries often of pain in legs and always points to her knees when I ask where it hurts. She has awakened in the night with pain several times in the last year. She's tough, so this concerns me. I know it could just be growing pains; is there any way to know for sure?

Answer:

I would make sure to address your concerns with your pediatrician who can direct you to any testing or referrals that might be necessary to determine if your child's pains represent a problem.

Posted to Aches and Pains