From St. Lazare, Manitoba, Canada:

I took my 10 year old daughter to the doctor today and told him that my daughter will complain of being nauseated and that she needs food. This can happen even right after finishing a meal. She will feel sick to her stomach and can become quite pale. He said that she has hypoglycemia. He told us to buy a One Touch meter, which we did. Her first reading was 5.7 mmol/L [103 mg/dl] and the second reading was 6.1 mmol/L [110 mg/dl].

After reading up on it on your site, I realize that my daughter has a lot of other symptoms that I just thought was "bad behavior" or due to possible poor parenting. She is impossible to speak to before breakfast, but once she eats she is fine. Sometimes I have to repeat myself frequently and she often complains of not remembering what just happened. She often looks worn down. Sometimes she will be really thirsty out of nowhere.

Can a doctor really diagnose a child like this? Should I get a second opinion? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I just want to do what is best for my child. If his diagnosis is accurate, do you know how I can get more information sent to me? Also, does she need a bracelet? If so, where can I get one for her.

I would suggest keeping a log of the blood sugars that you are seeing and making a follow-up visit with your pediatrician to review the results. Any further testing that might be necessary can be ordered at that time.

Emergency bracelets can be found online Medical Identification Products.

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Other