From Chicago, Illinois, USA:

I want to know if there is a difference between Humalog and NovoLog. I currently am having a lot of difficulty losing weight with Humalog in my insulin pump and have read that individuals on NovoLog don't experience as much of a problem with their weight. What is your opinion? Is there a significant difference in the way that Humalog and NovoLog work?

Humalog and NovoLog are both insulin analogues and will soon be joined by Apidra, insulin glulisine made by Sanofi-Aventis. The pharmokinetics of the three analogues are very similar and generally there is little difference. That being said, each individual pump patient or individual using analogue insulin will find one may be better than the other.

I have about the same percentage of individuals using both analogues at this time and see little or no difference overall. I would recommend, with your physicians help, that you could try the other insulin and see if it is better for you.

I would not expect many changes, though.

Posted to Insulin Analogs and Weight and Weight Loss