Question:

From Arizona, USA:

I was diagnosed four weeks ago with a fasting glucose at 136 mg/dl [7.6 mmol/L], but my A1c was only 5.5. My doctor wants me to test and I have been testing every day. My fasting blood sugars are anywhere between 88 and 111 mg/dl [4.9 and 6.2 mmol/L]; after meals, they are between 122 and 197 mg/dl [6.8 and 10.9 mmol/L]; and at bedtime, they are between 98 and 122 mg/dl [5.4 and 6.8 mmol/L]. Is it normal for my glucose levels to be all over the place?

Answer:

It looks like you should focus your attention on your blood sugars after meals, since that is when you are high. There are three ways to do that:

1. learn how to count carbohydrates and limit your amount of carbohydrates in each meal
  2. ask your health care provider about taking a medicine that will lower your post meal sugars such as Prandin, a short acting medicine that makes you make more insulin or Precose, a starch blocker that delays the breakdown of carbohydrates in the small intestine; and
  3. Try some physical activity, such as a walk, after a high post meal sugar.

JS

Posted to Type 2 and Daily Care