From Arizona, USA:

I was diagnosed four weeks ago with a fasting glucose at 136 mg/dl [7.6 mmol/L], but my A1c was only 5.5. My doctor wants me to test and I have been testing every day. My fasting blood sugars are anywhere between 88 and 111 mg/dl [4.9 and 6.2 mmol/L]; after meals, they are between 122 and 197 mg/dl [6.8 and 10.9 mmol/L]; and at bedtime, they are between 98 and 122 mg/dl [5.4 and 6.8 mmol/L]. Is it normal for my glucose levels to be all over the place?

It looks like you should focus your attention on your blood sugars after meals, since that is when you are high. There are three ways to do that:

1. learn how to count carbohydrates and limit your amount of carbohydrates in each meal
  2. ask your health care provider about taking a medicine that will lower your post meal sugars such as Prandin, a short acting medicine that makes you make more insulin or Precose, a starch blocker that delays the breakdown of carbohydrates in the small intestine; and
  3. Try some physical activity, such as a walk, after a high post meal sugar.

Posted to Type 2 and Daily Care