From Brownsburg, Indiana, USA:

Is anyone tracking the incidence of type 1 diabetes in the population? I think we all know that the numbers are rising, but I am curious as to whether there are any numbers out there. What are some of the possible causes for the increase in number of children diagnosed?

In the United States, to the best of my knowledge, there is no central organization tracking the incidence of type 1 diabetes because it is not a reportable disease -- that is, doctors do not report new onsets to the Centers for Disease Control. In several other countries, however, type 1 diabetes is reportable and there are good data on incidence.

There is much speculation about why the incidence of type 1 diabetes is increasing and several studies are underway to identify environmental triggers.

Posted to Research: Monitoring