From Johnston City, Illinois, USA:

I just had one blood test and my fasting glucose level was 111 mg/dl [6.2 mmol/L]. I did have gestational diabetes 12 to 13 years ago and it was controlled with diet and exercise. It went away after pregnancy. I talked to my physician's nurse and she said that, for me, the diet and exercise will probably bring my level down to normal if my pancreas hasn't been damaged. What symptoms would I have? Also, would a reading of 111 mg/dl [6.2 mmol/L] cause pancreas damage?

Given your history of gestational diabetes and a recent fasting blood sugar that was over 100 mg/dl [5.6 mmol/L] but less than 126 mg/dl, it sounds like you have pre-diabetes. Pre-diabetes is an early warning that gives you an opportunity to lose weight if you need to and improve your lifestyle through meal planning and physical activity. You can prevent or delay the onset of type 2 diabetes if you do this. I don't like thinking of your pancreas as being "damaged". You do have a high risk of developing diabetes but, if you take action now, you can certainly improve your health.

Posted to Other and Type 2