From West Virginia, USA:

I have been taking insulin injections for only two weeks now. The insulin worked well for a couple of days until I had to get a cortisone shot in my knee. Since then, my levels have been out of control. My endocrinologist is giving it some time, but thinks it might also be the Avandia wearing off in my system. How long should a cortisone shot affect my sugar levels? When will I see them start coming down again if it is the cortisone?

The cortisone shot should raise your blood sugars for three to five days. There is the additional issue that if you did have Avandia on board and stopped it, it would also be something to factor into the equation. Remember that the insulin adjustment is an ongoing issue. It may take several adjustments before you get the dose into the ballpark that will control your blood sugars.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Other