From Cheney, Washington, USA:

I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes in September of 2004. I had steadily increasing fasting glucoses until I had the flu in January. Then, everything plummeted to normal for about six weeks and now the fasting numbers have begun to rise again. My post-prandials have always been all over the place and still are, anywhere from 68 to 169 mg/dl [3.8 to 9.4 mmol/L]. I thought that the flu should have had the opposite effect. Why would my blood sugars be normal for so long after the illness?

The classic teaching is that intercurrent illnesses will increase stress hormones that antagonize insulin and can raise the blood sugar. I don't know why it would decrease fasting glucose levels. Did you lose weight because of poor eating? This may be a partial reason.