From New York, USA:

My son just turned 15 and has had diabetes for three years. Four months ago, he went on the insulin pump and it had been kind of a nightmare with the pump frequently disconnecting and my son forgetting to bolus after meals, resulting in poor control. We just turned to a shorter quick set which seems to be solving the problem. And, two months ago, he also had hernia surgery. So, it has really been a rough four months on all of us.

Friday, we went back to the endocrinologist and she was upset that my son had not grown in the last three months. She did a bone age on his hand it was age about 16. She was kind of rough with us and told my son he would probably not grow anymore. He is 5 feet, 5 1/2 inches in height. He was so upset he cried. Do you think he will grow more if he gets his sugar under better control? Do boys stop growing at 16? He still had a lot of space on the wrist epiphysis. Should he see another doctor? Should I consider human growth hormone? My husband is 5 feet, 10 inches and I am 5 feet, 2 inches. We are all very upset about this. Do you think his body was in shock after surgery and this effected him?

There's no doubt that acute illness can have a temporary effect upon growth, but hernia surgery wouldn't really count. Poor diabetes control certainly affects weight (loss) but has to be chronically bad to affect height. It is however, likely that your son will grown more if his bone age is still behind his chronological age.