From La Grande, Oregon, USA:

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 when she was 13 months old. Now, five years later, I have been noticing that she has a hard time identifying letters; she can tell you the sounds, but not the names. I have worked at length with her but have had little luck. She has a hard time remembering a letter that we went over two minutes earlier. Her blood sugars are constantly out of control, highs and lows. I want to help her with her struggle. Is this something that is related to her diabetes? Where can I go for help?

It is unlikely that the problems you describe are diabetes related but you should ask this questions directly to your diabetes team. They will know something about your child's overall glucose control and specifically, the frequency and severity of hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia, A1c levels, etc.

I would suggest consulting first with your pediatrician and then perhaps also with a learning specialist either in the school or privately. Your pediatrician should know of resources in the community to determine if there is any specific learning difficulty and, more importantly, what strategies, remedies etc., may be useful.

Posted to Behavior and Other