Question:

From Kokomo, Indiana, USA:

Last October, I was in a very serious car accident. I was taken to the hospital where they drew blood and did a lot of tests, including my blood sugars. Everything came out normal. I was off work for several weeks and had a lot stress over my job and the accident.

About two weeks after I went back to work, on November 17, I was feeling tired, thirsty, urinating a lot and feeling bad. I went to my doctor and he checked my blood sugar, which was 640 mg/dl [35.6 mmol/L]. I went on insulin immediately and eventually on Lantus and several other pills. I was normal before and after the accident, but due to the stress of my job and accident problem, I end up with diabetes. I have read that stress can on bring diabetes earlier. I do have a family history of diabetes, but, why all of sudden?

Answer:

It is unlikely that the accident brought on the diabetes and blood sugars that are that high. You were likely to have those blood sugar elevations anyway. If anything, the stress of the accident brought on the higher sugars.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Type 2