Question:

From Moscow, Russia:

My 20 months old daughter has passed genetic and immune analysis and she is at risk of diabetes type 1. I have diabetes for 20 years, since I was 15. I am in great fear of the same fate for my child. What can I do to protect her from type 1 diabetes? Our doctor said that we can do nothing. I'd like to know your opinion, please!

Answer:

At present, the results of the Diabetes Prevention Trial - Type 1 (DPT-1) suggest that the treatments used, insulin, either injected or oral did not prevent the development of diabetes. Knowing the risk, you can look for signs and get the diabetes treated before it becomes an urgent, life threatening case.