From Wellington, New Zealand:

I've had type 2 for five years, weigh 96 kg (211 pounds), work as an RN and currently have an A1c of 6.1%. My father, my two brothers and my husband all have type 2 also! Initially, I lost 12 kg (26 pounds) with walking and a low glycemic index diet, but, sadly, have put it all back on in the last two years. I'm at a loss to understand why my A1c is good when I take little formal exercise outside of the effort expended in my "hands on" clinical duties. Furthermore, my post-prandial blood sugars are often above 7 mmol/L [126 mg/dl), but less than 10 mmol/L [180/mg/dl].

I am confused by this too! You didn't mention if you are still following the low glycemic index diet. If so, that could account for your good A1c. One other possibility is that you have highs and lows, and they average out to what appears to be a normal A1c, but really isn't normal at all. Try to do some testing before and two hrs after the same meal and see if you are truly below target or not.

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c and Type 2