From Vicksburg, Michigan, USA:

My two and a half year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes six weeks ago. He is entering the "honeymoon" phase. If we can prolong this period either through diet or a clinical trial for two to four years, would that be beneficial to him in the long run? I am thinking of enrolling him in a clinical trial that is researching a safe drug to prolong this period and am trying to weigh the benefit versus the cost.

Nobody can answer such a theoretical question without knowing the risks and benefits of the proposed intervention to prolong the honeymoon. If you know of such a study, go and speak to the investigators and they will provide you more details or the exact protocol, number of visits, safety, risks and benefits.

[Editor's comment: Please see our page on Studies to see if there are any other studies for which your son is eligible. BH]

Posted to Honeymoon and Research: Other Research