Question:

From Dallas, Georgia, USA:

I have a blood glucose machine that lets me test on my arm versus my finger. Can I also test on my palm with the same machine? It did not state that I could test on my palm, but since it is an alternative site testing meter, is this possible? I have the FreeStyle meter.

Answer:

Yes, but closer to the heal of the thumb.

Recognizing that certain meters and systems are "FDA-approved" for alternative site testing, please recognize that not having approval is NOT the same as FDA-DISAPPROVED; rather it usually means that the FDA had no data to review in regard to approval or not.

For practical purposes, blood-is-blood-is-blood-is blood. Fingerstick checks came about as convenience as the older glucose test strips required a drop of blood on a particular place on the strip and it was easier to drop your finger on the spot rather than your earlobe or elbow. But, newer strips and meters allow "soaking up" of blood. So, while there are some limitations, get blood from where you want to get blood (toes, earlobe, wherever), but be certain the site is clean and dry before you stick. And, talk with your own health care diabetes specialist as they may be more restrictive about this than I am on this topic.