Question:

From Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA:

My four year old daughter had a high fever of 104 degrees. Her doctor did a urine test and it showed glucose and ketones, but low gravity. We went to the Emergency Room and tests were performed, showing high blood sugars and ketones. My daughter shows no signs of diabetes. She does not drink as much as she should and does not urinate often. They are having me check her blood sugar four times a day because they are not sure if it is early signs of diabetes or stress related from the virus. How long would her sugars be high if it were virus related?

Answer:

Without reviewing the actual laboratory testing, it would be difficult to determine whether your daughter may have diabetes. Blood sugars can occasionally be mildly elevated during times of illness, but should rapidly return to normal even within a few hours of getting treatment.

Posted to Other Illnesses and Hyperglycemia and DKA