Question:

From Virginia, USA:

I have several questions about Symlin, which was recently approved by the FDA. Will it be administered via a regular insulin syringe? How high should postprandial blood sugars run to be a candidate to try this? As I'm sure insurance companies won't cover this, what will the typical monthly cost for this drug run?

Answer:

To address the issue of insurance reimbursement for Symlin, you are correct in that some insurance plans will not cover this item. Generally, a prescription drug rider or health plan will cover any pharmaceutical approved by the FDA and prescribed by a physician as medically necessary for the treatment of disease or injury. However, some plans do not cover self-injected drugs other than insulin and cancer fighting drugs. Before assuming that your plan will not cover Symlin, I would review your benefit plan contract, the evidence of coverage, or check with your plan administrator.

DSH

Additional comments from Jane Seley, diabetes nurse specialist:

Symlin will be available in a delivery device similar to an insulin pen. Hopefully, insurance companies will reimburse for Symlin since it is FDA approved.

JS

Posted to Other Medications