From Virginia, USA:

I have several questions about Symlin, which was recently approved by the FDA. Will it be administered via a regular insulin syringe? How high should postprandial blood sugars run to be a candidate to try this? As I'm sure insurance companies won't cover this, what will the typical monthly cost for this drug run?

To address the issue of insurance reimbursement for Symlin, you are correct in that some insurance plans will not cover this item. Generally, a prescription drug rider or health plan will cover any pharmaceutical approved by the FDA and prescribed by a physician as medically necessary for the treatment of disease or injury. However, some plans do not cover self-injected drugs other than insulin and cancer fighting drugs. Before assuming that your plan will not cover Symlin, I would review your benefit plan contract, the evidence of coverage, or check with your plan administrator.

Additional comments from Jane Seley, diabetes nurse specialist:

Symlin will be available in a delivery device similar to an insulin pen. Hopefully, insurance companies will reimburse for Symlin since it is FDA approved.

Posted to Other Medications