Question:

From California, USA:

My son is taking NovoLog Pen injections three times a day. Could you tell me how long the insulin in the pen lasts after it has been puntcured? I've been told two weeks and 28 days. Which is the correct time?

Answer:

From the NovoLog Prescribing Information Package Insert:

RECOMMENDED STORAGE
NovoLog in unopened vials, cartridges, and NovoLog FlexPen should be stored between 2° and 8°C (36° to 46°F). Do not freeze. Do not use NovoLog if it has been frozen or exposed to temperatures that exceed 37°C (98.6°F). After a vial, cartridge, or Prefilled syringe has been punctured, it may be kept at temperatures below 30°C (86°F) for up to 28 days, but should not be exposed to excessive heat or sunlight. Opened vials may be refrigerated. Cartridges should not be refrigerated after insertion into the Novo Nordisk 3 mL PenFill cartridge compatible insulin delivery devices. The infusion set (tubing and needle) should be changed at least every 48 hours.

Posted to Insulin and Insulin Analogs