From Harper, Kansas, USA:

I recently read an article that stated that type 1 diabetes affects intelligence. Is this true even when the diabetes is "controlled"? My son's A1cs have been 5.7 and 5.5. He is very well controlled. I am VERY concerned about this as any parent would be. He is a "gifted" student at present. Is this going to change because of his diabetes?

High blood glucose levels as well as low blood glucose levels affect how the brain works. At both extremes, and perhaps also when there are rapid shifts in blood glucose levels, brain function may not be optimal. With such "low" A1c levels as your son has, it is likely that he has excessive episodes of hypoglycemia and this could affect him as well. But, you are correct that improved glucose control is not likely going to cause him any problems as long as there is not also excessive/too frequent hypoglycemia concomitantly. Best such research comes from Zurich Children's Hospital in studies led by Dr. Eugen Schoenle and the hypoglycemia research team at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville with Dr. Daniel Cox and Dr. William Clarke.