From Colonia Juarez, Chihuahua, Mexico:

My six year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 the end of January this year and we have had fairly good control of her sugar levels. Today, she fell at school and fractured her arm. At the time of the accident, her levels were good, but, since then, have been 240 mg/dl [13.3 mmol/L] and higher. Would this be common for this type of accident? Should I adjust her insulin or wait and watch for a while?

It is very common during the times of illness or even injury to have higher blood sugars. I would carefully monitor her blood sugar during her healing process and use extra rapid-acting insulin (Humalog or NovoLog) for those higher blood sugars.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Other