From Boulder, Colorado, USA:

My daughter has been taking 60 mg a day of prednisone for an infection. I have started noticing some of the symptoms of diabetes, including increased urination and excessive thirst. I heard from a friend that prednisone can raise blood sugar levels. Are these symptoms related to the prednisone or should I get her tested for diabetes?

Prednisone clearly can cause higher blood sugars. If her symptoms of diabetes continue after the course of prednisone, she should be checked for diabetes. Please review any current symptoms also with her physician.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Other