From Raleigh, North Carolina, USA:

My 13 year old son has been having weak spells off and on. He was sent for an oral glucose tolerance test. His fasting blood sugar was 96 mg/dl [5.3 mmol/L]; 30 minutes was 179 mg/dl [9.9 mmol/L]; one hour was 106 mg/dl [5.9 mmol/L]; two hour was 86 mg/dl [4.8 mmol/L]; and three hour was 95 mg/dl [5.3 mmol/L]. I was told that he was pre-diabetic and that I should take him off sugar so that it doesn't develop into diabetes. He is 5 feet tall and weighs 85 pounds. He is not an ill child, but is very healthy and enjoys baseball and golf.

I have seen the normal ranges on the Internet and it doesn't seem to me that he has pre-diabetes. These are the only test results that have been taken and other than a few lightheaded/weak spells he is perfectly normal. He does have very bad allergies that have been acting up a lot especially with the spring season.

What is your opinion about his glucose test levels? His grandfather has type 2 and great-grandparents have type 2, but none of his four siblings have ever been diagnosed and neither his father nor I have diabetes. All are healthy. I am very concerned and my son is very worried that something is wrong with him. Do I really need to cut out all sugar and totally change his lifestyle?

You may find additional information about how to interpret oral glucose tolerance testing at Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes. I would make sure to review this also with your son's pediatrician.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Other