Question:

From Hendrix, Oklahoma, USA:

My child's feet were cracking so we took her to the doctor who sent us to a pediatrician. They did a test and said she was diabetic. Her sugar was an average of 150 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L] for the last three months. We went and got a monitor to test her sugar. I have two other kids and we decided to test them, too. My son is four and he tested 168 mg/dl [9.3 mmol/L] at night and 140 mg/dl [7.8 mmol/L] during they day. My other daughter is nine and she tested 176 mg/dl [9.8 mmol/L] at night. Could all my kids have type 1 diabetes? My wife and I do not have it. The only people in are family who have it are my wife's grandparents and dad and it is type 2. Is there any other thing that could cause there sugar to be high?

Answer:

It is possible for more than one child in a family to have diabetes. I would suggest that you review your concerns and the testing that you've done with your pediatrician. Your pediatrician will be able to direct any further testing that may be necessary.

Posted to Genetics and Heredity